Tuesday, March 10, 2009

sappy love songs

Sappy love songs, they’re something that I know, girls especially like to get wrapped in and think of “awwh how sweet.” Quite frankly, I’m not much impressed with what all today’s artists have to say about “being in love”. First of all, we have young singers, like 17 years old young singing about love. I don’t think someone can fall hopelessly and truly in love when they’re 17 years old. Except for Bella that is, but that’s just because she has Edward…. well and Jake too -completely different situation. And second, saying "I want to make love right now" isn't any better than saying "lets get it on", which unsurprisingly, is something one would hear in a song today. Unoriginal lyrics that lack creativity annoy me. On the other hand though, it could be argued that they're just being honest I guess, but being a music is an art, it deserves some genuine thought and attention. Simple beats and dumb lyrics would not classify as art to me.

I understand that artists want to use the word love to represent a passionate emotion, but I think it takes a true artist to show just how much they care for someone, and describe so without using the “L word.”

However this is the way I see it. The 60’s and 70’s was all about free love, that was their era, and we need to establish our own. So songs that were produced then are more than acceptable to say I love you I love you I love you because they were there first, it’s like today’s pop music is just a copy cat of what the musicians back then felt. Now I know emotions and feelings don’t necessarily change through time, so I would not say different emotions would be what I am looking for, no, just a creative way to say “I love you” (or her or him) without literally doing so. Would that be difficult? I couldn’t tell you, I’m no musician.

It must be difficult though, to generate something fresh and original, it seems like there's so much out there already that it would be nearly impossible not to sound like someone else. With that said, I do give musicians credit for at least trying. Yet I continue to remain unimpressed with the majority of music that is considered "good" today. But I am my own critique, and I feel I have the right to be as harsh and as particular as I please, after all, I'm not the one performing.

No comments: