Tuesday, February 3, 2009

quite frankly, I don't mind that Eve ate the apple because I love fashion

Coming from a religious view point, it is because Eve ate the forbidden fruit that we even wear clothes today. (Now I'm not interested in those who wish to argue that fact at this point in time so please don't comment if its regarding religious views. )

However I love clothes and shoes and just fashion in general, I'm not a guru by any means, but I find it a lot of fun, and I wouldn't say I'm always for "the next big thing" either, but doing a little research on trends and such is somewhat of a hobby of mine, yet I don't necessarily reflect that I actually do know whats considered fashionable by the way I dress. I mean seriously, it's Iowa. I would be a minority for trying to keep up with high fashion and the fact is I think dressing casual is easy and acceptable, so why not just stick with it? Yet there is always those times that dressing up is required and I feel, since it isn't part of my daily routine, it's fun. To dress up I mean.

It's like stepping into a small fantasy world of mine going downtown in big cities to shop. The whole experience just feels glamorous, which is ironic considering big cities have higher rates of crime and pollution, but not living in a big city, I only get to experience the positive things and keep my view on downtown the same. Just last year, my mother, my grandmother and I, all went to downtown Chicago to go some Christmas shopping along the Magnificent Mile. I loved being in the giant shopping centers and being around the expensive apparel, I didn't mind the congested stores and streets so much, it was all just a part of my beloved delusion. And once the sun started to set all of the lights of the city would emerge, including Christmas lights because of the time of year, and on top of it all, pretty little snowflakes began to fall, transforming my surroundings into quite a charming scene.

Yet the fashion world is a cruel and somewhat cold-blooded one. I find it comparable to the "gilded age"- it comes off flashy and glamorous, but that is merely the closest part to the surface, beneath it can be dark and relatively brutal. I am not one who has witnessed such a level personally, but more and more of the harsh secrets are being revealed to the public. Really, one only needs to watch The Devil Wears Prada to see how such a lifestyle can be. Which makes one step back and wonder why would such a lifestyle be so appealing. But then the glamour and the paramount image flash and it all clicks. There are simply events and sacrifices that one goes through to obtain their dream. I'm sure there are things considered just as contradicting to morality as the ones we hear about with the fashion world, they just have yet to be exposed.

However, inhumane or not, I do love fashion and how it provides an outlet for expressing one's self freely and ironically enough to do the opposite and make a line of clones rather than clothes. Fashion is a part of every culture in every part of the world and is consistently traveling and changing and repeating, making it difficult to avoid and impossible to resist. Something like candy.

No comments: