Thursday, February 12, 2009

About Blogging

Initially, I hated this whole blogging thing with a passion. I didn't like the idea of just narrowing down my thoughts to three topics and how everyone and anyone could read what I had to say. I thought it was inconvenient that the only way I could complete the blogging assignments was to have a computer and Internet access and even then, I would be stuck on what to write about and I stressed on trying to make all my posts fantastic because I knew there was the slight chance that someone could easily read my blog and the (heaven forbid) judge me because of how my blogging skills were. So I would procrastinate, and being on the world wide web, it was fairly easy to waste time, and before I would notice, it would be six o'clock at night and I would have to get ready for practice, leaving and accomplishing little to nothing.

Just writing this post about blogging is causing a kink in my writing flow, what is there to say about blogging?

However, now, somewhat getting in to the groove of this whole blogging thing, I can understand what Mr. Ayers is drawn to, by using them in the classroom and their benefits. Most language arts teachers use notebooks to get their students to write weekly, but in doing notebooks, it lacks interaction of other audiences in the writing. True, not every one's blogs are read religiously, but I think it definitely helps those who do receive comments on their posts. In a way, it's fun to see what others have to say about their peers' work, especially having feed back from readers of your own age. Maybe some what motivating as well, to continue to write in hope of having a comment or some sort of response from another student.

Being somewhat environmental conscience, another thing I like about blogging is the fact that we don't use up nearly as much paper. It is a small perk, yes, but not a skipped over one.

Blogging isn't by any means a formal source of literature, and sometimes I find that some one annoying, I'll find some blogs are more comparable to a myspace page rather than a writing note book, but it is interesting seeing what topics are decided out there and what some people's points of views are. That is something I find amusing about blogs, is getting to read about other's opinions, but not necessarily know who the author is, not knowing whose work you are reading makes a blog more enjoyable I would think, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to know who the author, especially if the author wants be known by using their real name or posting a picture of themselves on their profile.

It is also fun to play with fonts and colors and sizes, which is something you can't do in a reading notebook so much, and it's always neat- no messy handwriting to try and translate. I would say designing the profile page is also something many find being a perk in blogging, they can reflect their personality and give themselves some sort of an identity by choosing how their blog looks.

I suppose you could say blogging has grown on me. I've become accustomed to it, and have discovered a way to work it in my schedule, (though I don't write nearly as much as I should :/)When I first was introduced to blogging, I was trying to write for an audience that I didn't necessarily have and for a purpose that wasn't clear and not knowing who I was writing for made the blogging experience painful. However, once I decided to simply blog for myself and to get it done in a timely manner, the idea of blogging didn't seem so intimidating. So I would label that as some sort of advice to those who are blogging, because once you decide who you are writing for and why, it makes things on you, as an author, much easier. So I suppose you could say that yes, I am one for blogging, it was just an adjustment and something to get used to, but can be rather amusing and fun, and help me pass AP lang, what a concept.