Thursday, February 5, 2009

being recognized as part of a team rather then an individual



I think there are two ways that one can be recognized, as an individual and as part of a team. Maybe team is making the term be narrowed down to sports, so perhaps as a group or part of a crew would be more appropriate, nevertheless, it gets the same idea across. Most celebrities, like actors, actresses, politicians, and some musicians are identified by individual. They want their name to be the only name they're associated with. Which I assume is acceptable considering their profession. Yet there are ones considered celebrities that are identified in a group, like a band or a professional sports team, which also is acceptable considering their profession.

Personally, I prefer to be recognized as part of a team. I don't like the spotlight on me alone, I like being part of something more then just myself. There's just something that comes off admirable I think to be known because of something one is a part of, to be prominent not as an individual but as a team. Even to be recognized because of a name, I like walking down the halls with my brothers and have people identify us because of each other. However, I am an athlete, and have a relatively large family, so maybe the idea of a team doesn't sound as appealing to most. Naturally, I think since I haven't really been known as an individual I grew a fondness of being part of a team. It's all that I've really known, so I don't wish to change it. However I've never been one who wanted to stick out, even if it was because of an accomplishment, not to be alone in the recognition anyway. Can't say I quite understand why exactly though.

Knowing this about myself, it sparks my curiosity as to how do others wish to be recognized? If one is part of a big and successful, isn't it enough for one know that for them self and not need their name in the paper or anything.

I haven't precisely figured where I'm going with this, it's simply an evaluation that I had made during a conversation with my father. I can't say I remember what really brought it up initially, but it lead to me making the statement that I would rather be recognized as part of a brilliant team then a brilliant person, because only brilliant people make a brilliant team.

In spite of being identified as group, it leads to stereotypes, which then change into judgments rather then recognitions. Which is certainly not something that I am appreciative of. In such a case, I base my opinion of one because of an individual, not because of their group, I feel it isn't fair to assume before knowledge. And I'm afraid that my being recognized as a team statement would make one infer to judge and stereotype, which aren't my intentions at all.

No comments: