Sunday, January 18, 2009

4:00 AM

What a time, four 0'clock in the morning. It's too late to be going to bed and too early to wake up. There must be something some what magical about such a time. If there is an average time a day that the majority of people are asleep at, I would have to say it would be 4 AM. But there is something special about this time of day. Like the things that happen at the time. I don't like to think of the bad things, I like to think of it as a time that nothing terrible happens. Now three in the morning, well that is a different situation, but I'm not getting into that now.I think what made me wonder so intently on such a time of day was the number of times I heard a song lyric consist of it.

Now why is it the musicians feel it is significant enough to put in the time of the morning, and specifically make it at four. I know that I personally am rarely up at that time of the day. What are they doing up at that time of day anyways? Now I know there is the exceptions of those who work odd hours and are up for their job, but for this purpose I am excluding those who qualify for such. No hard feelings I hope.

I don't exactly know what kind of conclusion I'm hoping to come up with in this post, it's mostly just a curiosity stricken thought. What is the symbolism of four in the morning- if there is any sort of symbolism at all. Maybe it has to do with being in a state of restlessness. If one cannot fall asleep or stay asleep, they would be up at four. And why wouldn't someone be able to get a good night's rest? Is it because their mind is refusing to shut down all the thoughts and concerns going through their brain? They can't sleep, they have something on their mind, something that's forbidding them to get some rest. Maybe news that has sent shock waves through their system, or another individual that could be inflicting pain, or even tremendous amounts of joy that they're just to happy to sleep. Something that they want to keep thinking about over and over again.

The mind is an incredible thing. Just one thought is able to keep one up at 4 in the morning, or perhaps it's not just one thought, but a string of occurrences with another. Some events that you just can't cope with or comprehend quite correctly. Something that bothers you.

Is that the conclusion I had been searching for? The symbolism for being up at four in the morning is because somethings on one's mind that they just don't know how to handle so they vigorously search for an answer and in doing so they refuse to let their brain have a break until they've come to a conclusion. So in fact, it is not the brain keeping one up, its the individual keeping the brain up, being persistent until something is clear or pure exhaustion. Whichever comes first.

So that is what the musician does to cope with that thought that is keeping them up. They write a song about it, and hope in doing so they can give ones self peace of mind and get rest. I wonder how long that takes...

No comments: