Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hunky Dory

Today is David Bowie's 62nd birthday.

This may come as a shock to most, considering the generation I am a part of, but I sincerely love David Bowie. True, he is an odd character, one can tell that just be his appearance, but it's something about his peculiarity that I am drawn to.

It is weird, that I find such joy in this man's music. But there is something about his instrumental accumulation, his up beat lyrics, his friendly voice- the combination is one that I yearn for, in down times especially. More so recognizable in the 70's, but he has been a rock sensation since the late 60's and well into the 90's. He is weird, I know that. And I know there really isn't another way to describe him. Perhaps he would prefer the term eccentric, odd, maybe even bizarre, but nevertheless, they are all words of abnormal character- which is exactly David Bowie.

For those of you who are reading this and can't recall the name David Bowie, let me give you a little background information...
First off he was born on January 8, 1947 in London. (Maybe that's another factor to my small obsession, I have a thing for British musicians.) And was a part of a few British bands in the mid sixties. I have to admit, I don't think I've heard much of his music that was produced then, but now I feel obligated to look into it. I do know of his music after he decided to go solo though- "space oddity" in the year 1969. (ironically enough, also the year that America landed on the moon.) He has had many top hits, from 1969 to 1999. This is includes "changes" and "golden years". David Bowie was greatly inspired by the whole space theme, and made quite a trend of it. From his music to his style, he was undoubtedly original.



These pictures are more the mid 70's rather than the early 70's, but great representations of David Bowie's incomparable style.


Some of my favorites are from the seventies. One album that I truly adore is Hunky Dory which came out in the year 1971. It includes the infamous track "changes" and a couple of my personal favorites "oh! you pretty things" and "kooks". My cousin gave me the album for my birthday quite a few years ago, and it still remains beloved in my collection of music.

His song "golden years" is the epitome of what a 70's song should be. I think anyways. It's ideal, everything about it screams 70's, which would make sense since it came out in 1975, but still... I think David Bowie hit the nail on the head with that song, making it a classic till this day. Here, listen for yourself, and then try to tell me it does not sound like the representation of the 70's era. I doubt you will be able to achieve such a thing without lying to yourself.



David Bowie performed this song on the show Soul Train which was a primarily black musician show at the time. Bowie was one of the first white people to perform and when doing so, he played his song "golden years." The video above is his performance on Soul Train.....
EnJoY! :)

No comments: