Sunday, October 19, 2008

square one

Being an athlete, I care about my body. Playing volleyball six days a week is my life, and I want to perform at my highest all the time. Well having to juggle school and home with my busy volleyball schedule, sometimes I don’t take care of myself like I know I need to. I don’t always get enough sleep at night and since fast food is the least time consuming, it works its way into my life. Realizing this isn’t how I should be treating myself, and wanting to do something about it, I started doing a little research in health and nutrition. The more I learn about it, the more I become interested in it, so much that I think that it’s a possible choice for me to study in college.

In some of the things I’ve read about health and nutrition, I learned that what you put in your cupboards is what you’re going to eat. Which seems blatantly obvious, but it occurred to me that if you buy healthy foods, you’ll eat healthy. It’s as simple as that. True there are the fast food and gas station runs, but there are even healthier choices you can make in a “bad” food environment. Like at a fast food place, choosing grilled chicken over a bacon cheeseburger, or at the gas station getting a water and pack of peanuts over pop and a candy bar.

Of course exercise is always contributes to keeping your body healthy, but I think it starts with making some alterations to your diet. This blog is my start to discovering the different ways to a healthier lifestyle.

No comments: