Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Music

Music, something that just about everyone is familiar with. Now I'm not going to bore you with the typical there are many types of music, rap, rock, country, jazz... we already know all about that. And if you don't, I suggest you find another blog because this is for the more advanced listeners of music.

It's not my life by any means, but it certainly is a love, and not just music in general is the love, no, it's the love for all sorts of rock. From artists like underoath to oasis. Yes, it's a wide range of music, but it certainly is nothing close to country, R&B or "gangster". Sure, there is that rap song that everyone knows, that they play at ball games and dances, but that's not typically the type of music I take an interest into.


Lyrics, that's what I tend to pay attention to. Songs are good because of the lyrics, the message that the artist is trying to get across. That's what I believe makes truly great music artists, the fact that they themselves are literate and have deep thoughts and passionate feelings that they can translate into their songs. Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of rock songs talking about nothing more than getting drunk and laid, which is just what our society is just drawn to. But let me take an example of a song that people think is just about sex, and turn it around to show you what the artist is really getting at.

I know most know the song "addicted" by Saving Abel. Yeah, I know the perverted parts seems to be what everyone picks out of the song, but do you know what the song is really trying to say? Consider this line " theres just got to be more to you and me." Could it be possible that Saving Abel is trying to say they want more out of the relationship then just sex? I think it is. I know, the lyrics to this song are simple and repetitive, so I wouldn't classify it as a deep meaningful form of music, but it surfaces the whole concept of something with meaning.

When I say that I like a song, it's normally a song that the lyrics I can comply by. I seem to find a song that explains exactly my situation when I'm going through any sort of bump in the road, or if I'm just unbelievably happy or smitten. I even have pick-me-up songs that I listen to, to give me a shot of encouragment. "The middle" by Jimmy Eat World is one of them.

No comments: